Monday, September 13, 2010

Founding Hunger Challenger Faith Kramer Takes on Year #3

Founding Hunger Challenge blogger Faith Kramer of Blog Appetit has a wealth of observations, recipes and tips for eating on a budget. Here's an excerpt from her first 2010 Hunger Challenge post:
This is the third year that I've participated. You can see everything I posted on the 2008 challenge here, including shopping lists, daily menus, meal planning tips and more. In 2008, we only had $3 a person a day to work with, so filling up my family of four and keeping the food nutritious was even more challenging. (The extra dollar a day really makes a difference, but it is just a temporary change and is due to expire.) I think the Hunger Challenge Chili was my favorite recipe from that year. I also feel that what I wrote in my wrap up/recommendations for change post still sums my experience and what I learned and what I would like to see change to make it easier for Food Bank clients and those on food stamps to feed themselves and their families as well as possible.

You can read about my 2009 experience here. In 2009 we were able to use $4 a day per person. Like the year before, I also planned out a weekly meal plan, gave shopping trips, shared about my experiences and developed recipes. Probably my favorite from 2009 was the Hunger Challenge Cassoulet (a bean and sausage stew). I summed up my reactions here. READ MORE

1 comment:

FJKramer said...

Thanks for the shout out!
I believe so very much that anyone who has the luxury of taking pleasure in food has an obligation to help feed the hungry and support those who fight to end hunger. Kudso to the San Francisco Food Bank and all the others who work so hard combating not just hunger but ignorance and apathy surrounding these issues.